Where Am I Going?

This week in Honors Colloquium, we discussed the ideas of a good, happy, successful, and useful life. Each of these descriptive words carries its own points. During class, different people brought up their own version of a life that is good, happy, successful, or useful. If I had to choose one to describe my goals in life, I would say that I aim for successful life.
When I think of success for myself, I believe that I will deem myself successful when I have achieved a life that makes me happy and is also contributing to the good of society. Success, in my opinion, is contributing to society in a way that makes me happy. My version of success will greatly differ from the next, but this is my take on success. In a successful life for myself, I believe I would have a job I enjoy doing while it contributes to the betterment of society. Specifically, success would be becoming an optometrist with a family. I strive to be very involved with my church and mission opportunities perhaps with my career involved.
To get my journey to a successful life started, I have proposed three things that I can do to put myself where I would like to be for success. The first is a short term goal: job shadow and look for opportunities to connect with people in the optometry field. This would benefit me in the long run, and it is something I can do right now. The second thing I can do is a goal I can work on for a fairly longer amount of time: prepare myself for optometry school and its requirements. This entails service opportunities, studying for courses, preparing for interviews, finding leadership opportunities; this goal will benefit me in achieving my dream job as well as helping in the mission field. The third thing I can do is a long term goal: start a family. This is something I definitely will not do in the near future, but it is something I strive to have that will make my life a little happier. This will contribute to the "happy" side of life, while my short term goal contributes to my "good" side of life. I believe these goals will set me on track to achieve my overall goal of a successful life.

Comments

Popular Posts