Service in the Church

For the Presidential Honors Community Service Scholars program, we are required to get at least 40 hours of community service each semester. This task has led me to explore the different options I have to volunteer in my community, specifically in my church. I reached out to my youth pastor, Josh Shearer at Higher Ground Baptist Church to find opportunities to volunteer around the church and with its sponsorships.
I started this service opportunity on September 27. Since then, I have gone consistently every Wednesday and Friday as often as I could. I have totaled 33 hours thus far. I have had the chance to help with a lot of different projects at church. One major opportunity was Friendship Diner, a soup kitchen where we serve breakfast on the first Sunday of every month. I was able to serve food to the kind people that I never would have the blessing of meeting otherwise. The people that came in varied from homeless to low income and simply needing an extra hand in providing food for a family of four. All of the people that came in had hearts bigger than I could ever imagine. They are so much more grateful for a simple pancake breakfast than anyone I have ever met. I was fortunate to help out with this amazing organization for a few days this semester. Outside of this organization, I have been working on a project for Higher Ground; every year, we put on a secret church event to demonstrate the underground churches in countries that do not have the freedom to practice Christianity publicly. This year, myself and one other student have been able to organize and put the event to action. This is a main project I worked on, researching top persecuted countries for Christianity and specific information on the missionaries that live in those countries. The event is scheduled for November 26, so there is still some work to do on this event, but it has been an amazing opportunity to help put on an important event for my church. Furthermore, I helped with basic things like signups for events, church bulletins, and set up/take down for concerts and events. I have learned so much about leadership in the church and organizational skills for everyday life simply by working with my church. I look forward to continuing this volunteer opportunity through this semester as well as the spring semester. It has and will continue teaching me important skills for everyday life.

Comments

Popular Posts