Take it or Leave it?

College is a big step into the real world. It is a time and place when people must begin to find themselves rather than go along with their families like they always have.
In Collo class today, we discussed what sentimental items we brought with us to college and what we left behind. I brought a jewelry box that my uncle made for me. He made it with wood from the old sycamore tree he had in his back yard. That tree was part of my family for many years. When he decided to cut it down, he made me that box to remind me of the memories and relationships that were built around it. We had swings, kickball games, golf cart races, and many injuries around that tree. The box reminds me of my amazing family and friends throughout my life. That is one item that I brought with me that I hold dearly.
However, there are some things that had to be left at home when I moved into college. People have to leave their lifestyles according to their parents and start living lifestyles according to themselves. I have not strayed from the morals and faith that my parents taught me to have. That is important to me,  but I did stray from friends. I have made new friends and new connections for my new life in college. I am grateful for the relationships I had in the past, but I look forward to developing the new ones at ETSU.

Comments

Popular Posts